Friday, October 29, 2010

Style Icons by Joanna P. Brock

One of my favorite and most important things in life is having a mentor, someone to guide me, lead me and set examples that I can follow. Since having a good fashion sense is also so important to me, and should be to some extend, for all of us (remember, what we wear speaks volumes about who we are and who we portray ourselves to be), I wanted to explore a few iconic women. Look to them to do the work for you and then follow their lead. To expand upon this topic I have invited my best friend in life, a woman who is and always has been sure of who she is and has the undeniable ability to turn heads with her class. I bring you, Mrs. Joanna P. Brock. 

My bff has asked me to toss in an opinion regarding her recent blog trend on style and I could not be more honored to contribute.  Chelsea has specifically asked for my opinion on Style Icons.  Well, too bad for you that there is very little "new" in this category - too good for you that that fact is why the people I am about to mention are Icons.


Up to this point, Chelsea has done a lovely job arguing the point of buying less, but better and buying classics, not trends.  All of these points I could not agree with more.  The ladies that I want to mention knew this and were able to be confident, beautiful, always appropriate, and always stunning while wearing clothes that were timeless.

A few weeks ago the tv show Project Runway asked the designers to be inspired by Jackie O.  Even a show based on new, boundary pushing, innovative fashion recognizes that Jackie did it right in a feminine, classy wardrobe!  She knew that she could appear anywhere in a smart suit or a flattering CONSERVATIVE* (more on this word in a moment) dress and be appropriate and confident!  She always looked put together and aware of herself!

I mentioned the word conservative because there is a disturbing trend of flesh in fashion.  While standards do evolve, ladies, fitted is different than painted-on-tight, not every flattering neckline includes the majority of your bust, a short flirty hemline should never venture too close to your underwear (and yes, you should always wear underwear!!).  Some of these fundamentals are getting thrown out the fashionable window and I believe this is very sad.  Modesty oozes confidence.  Yes, people judge the girl in the super tight, super low cut, super short dress as trashy, desperate and cheap.  Cover up a bit and let your gorgeous personality shine!  A shining personality is  always a fashionable accessory.  

Back to Jackie.  She is known as much for her fashion as much as for being The First Lady.  Jackie was constantly being followed by paparazzi, media and adoring fans - a great motivator for dressing up.  You don't have the same following?  Don't worry - someone is watching and you should care!  You never know who they may be!


My second favorite icon is Ms. Hepburn herself!  Audrey Hepburn is known for her style of simplicity and elegance.  Who knew that black cropped pants and a white tee shirt could be so stunning?  Audrey knew.  Audrey loved the casual ease of cropped pants and a tee, but knew the importance of putting on a stunning dress for the right occasion.  I think Audrey is a great example of knowing one's audience and atmosphere.  When you are home having coffee with your best friend, don the yoga pants and flip flops if you like.  If you are OUT having coffee with your best friend, ditch the gym wear and put on some real clothes!  If you are invited to a dinner party of friends, don't wear your torn up jeans and stained favorite sweatshirt.  These may be your friends but if someone is putting enough effort into throwing a party - at least get dressed!  Audrey had a great sense of awareness for what was appropriate and flattering to her body.


My newest favorite icon is Kelly Ripa.  Her clothing seems to be a great example of merging timeless classic styles with trendy fashions of today.  She has a way of marrying classic lines with new fabrics or modern flair.  It's exciting to see how she adapts the old to the new!  I think she is a great example of how we can make the classic clothing of decades ago seem new today.  I am excited to see how she continues to portray herself.  

        
These are the ladies that I look to for inspiration.  They embody class, energy, elegance and sophistication.  I encourage you to think of these ladies (or your own favorite classy girls) as you are seeking to improve your style.  There is a reason why ladies from so long ago are still considered to be so fashionable - they had pride in themselves as women, not as objects.  They had confidence in who they are, not who they are wearing.  Take a trip to Google images and look around and what these women did - I hope it inspires you to find the style that makes you the best you that you can be!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails